Wednesday 8 May 2013

Day 24 - erm what luggage allowance...

Hmm I know the day is looming when I am going to have to pack my luggage up. Yep only 6 day's I am back in the Sunny UK. Now at the time I was rather chuffed with myself for cramming a months worth of maria life into 1 piece of hand luggage (thus saving me £30 to put a bag in the hold - the same price as my plane ticket!). However typical me has been buying random things including a ropey carrot toy for Jasper (shh don't tell him its a surprise!), two ceramic bowls and a leather jacket. I've also made 28 cards and 50 envelopes,  so you can begin to visualise my looming problem. So what do I decide to do today?

I went pebble fishing. Yep, took a big bag and walked the coastal path looking for small roundish pebbles. I found an isolated tiny bay, almost broke my neck scrabbling down the rocks to get to it, and went paddling sure in the knowledge that the best pebbles would be in the water. Guess what I found? Well yes, lots of pebbles but what else?

A snail diving group! Loads of them out learning, clinging to the rocks, slightly nervous of being so deep (the water was mid calf on me). I got talking to Maurice, he had been in the navy, spent his whole life diving and knew these rocks like the back of his shell. He had set up his own diving school back in 1982, and loved teaching his new recruits the ropes.

"None of that cumbersome diving equipment you see humans using, us snails are naturals, its just a matter of confidence. Knowing we are just as much a part of the water as we are the land".

He was so knowledgeable, and obviously very popular with his newbies. They were soon all happily settling onto the pebble sea bed and enjoying the experience. Maurice pointed out some great pebbles and I carefully navigated the water, being sure to avoid the numerous snails and scary sea weed clumps with my clumsy feet.

Heavy bag in tow I came home and spent the afternoon painting Erna pebbles to sell at the fair. I'm rather pleased with them and have done 28. However that does mean I've got 28 rather heavy pebbles to find a space for. Hmm, looks like I'm going to be wearing all my clothes on the plane home :-)

Oh also I contacted two magazines I subscribe to on the off chance they would be interested in featuring the 'Inspired Line' project. Its a long shot but you never know unless you ask.

Hope you have had a good day. See you soon xxx

1 comment:

  1. OH Maria - only you!! A snail diving group!!! That is so cute! :) You clearly have an affinity for snails - I can see that Snails are going to be competing with Erna in the storyline stakes.
    Can't wait to see the Erna pebbles. and I have this image in my mind of you on the way home wearing every item of clothing you possess with stones weighing down the pockets.. (no I'm not joking...!) ;)
    Wiz x

    ReplyDelete