Monday 6 May 2013

Day 22 - Yay Maria is back in business!

Quickly to get the dull stuff out of the way, though even that was eventful. I was up early and forced into going to Geant (supermarket) despite noting that it was horrifically busy last Monday morning. I had no choice though, I had ran out of a fundamental life source - wheetabix! Given the urgency I had broached paying the €7 for a box of 24 that was local shop was charging but Markles said no, and I'm rather glad he did given they were €2.47 at Geant.

Anyway having been good and saved money I thought I deserved a treat, plus I was celebrating! Being my usual organised self I put the coffee filter machine on before scooting next door to the bakery. The idea being that by the time I got back I'd have a freshly brewed coffee waiting for me. Erm not exactly...typical silly me had forgot to put the lid on the coffee pot, so I had coffee all over the floor and rug, and I then stupidly chucked the used filter paper in the sink instead of placing it carefully, and of course sent wet coffee grains everywhere. Meanwhile my little chocolate cake is sat outside wondering what I'm up to and slowly melting. So sometime later I sat down with half a cup of salviged luke warm coffee and a half melted cake. And that's what happens to Maria's who go fetch cake while they are meant to be on a diet. It then started to rain.

It didn't matter, nothing could put a dampener on my day. I had woke and instantly updated my facebook status declaring myself as a writer. This 'inspired line' project, as I've started to call it, has really given me purpose and focus. Combined with my daily blog I felt I had earned the title. Last night I also thought of a little company name. Not another one I hear you say! Yes, I know my head is always so full of ideas I struggle to work out the daft ones from the slightly less daft ones, but this felt right and I was excited.

Still, rather than run head first as I usually do, I slowed down and consulted a few people. 2 yes's, 1 no, plus my optimistic yes...I went ahead and bought www.studiothoughts. co.uk for £8, which my dad is busy beavering away creating for me based on sketches I made on the back of a bread wrapper (Thanks dad!). I've now got 2 years to really try and push my writing, Erna, Snail and what ever new creations my mind comes up with. Don't get me wrong I realise this is a hobby business,  I still need to go find a job that pays, but not sideline my whole life when I do so.

And so today I tackled an inspired line by Phillip Bissell that I had been struggling with and avoiding. It took a while but I muddled through. I need to leave it a day or two then review it before I will know if I'm happy with it. The Tale of  Two Stinkie Sisters and Bananas were falling from the Sky, are my current favourites. I also got to work on making greeting cards, I'm selling on my craft stall at the Greenpeace Fair on the 1st June (keep your diaries clear to come visit me and all the other amazing stalls at UEA). I've no idea how many I will need or what price to sell them, but I made 28 today, a nice mix of my 6 designs, and I thoroughly enjoyed it so if I don't sell them, well at least you can guess what your next birthday card from us will feature :-)


So its been a great day, hopefully one I can fondly recall in years to come when I've got a little Erna empire under my belt, but for now I'm just happy to have started the journey. Plus another perk, I can choose my own job title :-)

Take care, see you soon xxx

Maria
Writer and Creator of Marvellous Things

1 comment:

  1. Yay baby! Sounds great and you are happy with it - so win win!! :) Want to see the cards too. This is turning out to be a very productive French holiday! ;) I am thinking of your melting chocolate cake and drooling - what were you thinking?! Cake always comes first - never forget that!! ;)
    Wizbear xx

    ReplyDelete