Monday 15 April 2013

Day 1 - Arghh! Driving in France and odd bed linen

Day 1

I have arrived! With only minor misshaps :-)

After a rediculously early start, made better with left over croissants for the journey to Gatwick ( with far too much flaky goodness left in the car instead of my belly, also congrats to car for making it to 100, 000 we were very worried you wouldn't), my flight was delayed thus allowing me extra sleepy time. Another plus was that this delayed the inevitable driving in France on my own for the first time.

The lovely man at the car shop very patiently explained the car and journey before gingerly handing over the keys (he even reversed it for me so I only had to go forward). I obviously wasn't looking or sounding confident. Anyway he was right to be worried as I bumped the car into a low concrete barrier while trying to leave the car park. Fortunately my little Citroen is made of strong stuff and wasnt affected. I then did a tour of the airport obviously forgetting the directions the man had told me. Good driving practise,  especially as when I first got in, I had exclaimed in horror 'oh no there is no gear stick or handbrake!', oh wait there it is on my right - how odd!'. Despite this incompetence I drove at snail pace, talking myself through every basic element of driving, until I got comfy and started singing my numbers in French. Although I think I may have started to make it up after 30 :-)

My little studio is just as I remember, tiny but lovely.  After another fun trip in the car, playing on round abouts, I found a super market, sorted a new phone number, internet, bed linen, towel and food. All very productive.

However on the issue of bed linen, it is very odd. Well I suppose its my own fault for not understanding the language but its a good guess to think largest packet would be duvet cover, medium packet is sheet and smallest is pillows? Hmm well only half right. What I actully bought is a sheet (great), huge giant sheet (what! Why, what purpose?) and a long sausage tube that I guessed you put two pillows in, thus forcing you to share the pillows rather than steal them in the night? Hmmm these French are too romantic. Which reminds me, whereas in Britain we have a drop of point, in france they call it the Kiss and Drop point. Thus depending on how sceptical you are, you are either encouraged to be romantically slushy when saying au reviour or this is the official 'your dumped spot'.

Anyway, Ive survived my first night and now have to decide what to do with myself for  month!

I promise to add photos to blogs when I get back, having forgotten my camera to computer lead.

Keep in touch xxx

2 comments:

  1. Aw bebe! So great to hear from you and how you are making your way so bravely and boldly in 'Forn Parts!' Can't believe your set of b*lls! - driving on the wrong side of the road. Bears would be TOO SCARED!! I'm loving the kiss and drop point though... feel this should be inspiration somehow for your new internet dating website... ;) How are you going with the francais? Do you have to know much? My tongue would tie itself in knots and the French I knew would become 'it's French Jim, but not as we know it'.. due to sounding more like Arabic - which I can't speak either! Hmm - tongue tie - also a dating possibility I feel! There is room on the market for a Maria version of dating. Could have all sorts of interesting 'french' rules..! ;) Leave you with that thought and dash to work cos I'm LATE (shh!) Take care Wiz xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci bucket :-) I admit to being very nervous about the trip initially but fine now im here and done it. Not sure how much exploring I will do in the car though especially having forgotten my sat nav.

      I know about 4 words in French lol so trying to quickly learn, so I can whitter away to locals.

      Loving all your dating website tips although setting that up might be step too far for my poor dad :-P

      Delete