Saturday 20 April 2013

Day 6 - Adventures of a hobbit...

Day 6

Ok so perhaps its fair to say that I've been behaving like something of a hobbit, but you know I have a lovely little pad and can happily potter about to my own delights. Still I must not waste this opportunity and so decided this little hobbit should go on a mini adventure!

I woke nice and early, whispered 'morning snail' so as to not wake him and went out to the car having packed all the things you might need for a day trip I.e. book, money and sunglasses. 5 minutes later I'm back in the house, wondering how 1 tree could possibly drop so many sticky buds on my car in 2 days. So backnout i ventured with a bowl of soapy water and scrubber. This turned out to be a lovely thing to do in the sun, whilst wearing a summer dress and heels, oh very glamorous I know :-)  Firstly I realised the car has back doors (I really am so unobservant), secondly a french man stopped to say what a pretty baby/child I was, while holding his trousers up because the belt had broke...I know I attract all the wierdos! But you would never guess, he used to live in Chester,  where I was born! So that was nice. I then had a chap pull up to me, and in french jokingly say 'when your done love, you can do mine'. And so their humour isn't too different from ours.

Now set in my sparkly white car, I drove to Frejuis, got wonderfully lost and marvelled at how lovely it was. I then decided I should make more of this cafe culture by pretending the gorgeous yacht in the marina ( of which there were many) was mine, and strutting about wishing I had a mini poodle at my side and a sugar daddy (Markles thats you) awaiting me on board with cocktails for after Ive finished my shopping trip at Louis Vuitton. I must say coming home to a snail was a bit of a come down  after that dream but hey I'm still happy or was until I did actually make it home...oh the drama to come!

I then went back on the moterway and drove all along the coast through stunning scenery - its so green and hilly with houses perched everywhere overlooking the sea. Just lovely! By the time I made it home it was late afternoon and my bum was sore from having sat so long, so I decided to go and find the little bay where I used to go tomb diving -  I know radical me! I figured it wasnt very far away, at least it wasnt in my memory. My memory was wrong, after a very long walk in my wedges along a busy road not designed for pedestrians, being tooted at by coaches overtaking on bends, I found a place I remembered. Not the bay but a cafe, which duly served me coffee and pain au chocolate.  All in all I had walked 6 miles, so at least the pastry was guilt free.

This was when the drama happened, I came home, went to check on my only friend who I had popped back in his pot outside in the sun...and he was gone! No goodbye snail trail note, no empty snail corpe, he had just upped and vanished. And so I sat wondering why he should be so cruel, should I have bought him flowers, a diamond for his shell, fluffed his soil before bed? Rejected, I went out to the shop to buy my first bottle of wine, to toast a friendship lost. And would you believe it, I met a lovely Rastafarian begger and his dog Ella, we sat having a lovely if somewhat stilted natter in French; he was travelling in his mini camper van through Spain, Portugal,  France and Italy, all the while little Ella was excitedly biting my hands and wagging her tail. It cheered me up no end. Who needs snails when you have friendly beggers and their dog's. Plus my first proper french conversation with someone other than Madame Crutchley, (who is getting boring, as she only talks about herself, and oddly I already know what she is going to say).

I celebrated a wonderful day, by having my first meal out and having chosen the €20 euro tourist meal, prepared myself for an evil deed. Lying before me, 6 of snails cousins bubbling away in garlic and herbs. Yes I ate them, and yes I feel terrible about it. They weren't even tasty. But I couldnt let them die in vain could I? Lets just hope snail doesnt come back, I dont think I could look him in the eye again :-(

The next horror of the evening was seeing Markles beard chop photos,  Arghhh! Visable chin is definitely going to take some getting used to, but I'm hugely proud he did it xxx

Oh oh oh, and how could I forgot, I bought a little french cow (a little crystal one, don't panic) she was just too cute to resist! And so I do have someone to talk to :-)

Glad to hear also that you were having fun in the sun vack home!

Bye for now xxx

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear your friend has deserted you. Such ingratitude after all your conversation together (well from your side anyway) and what with bringing him in from the rain as well.

    Perhaps he still hasn't forgiven you for that knock to the shell. Hmmm. Happy ending would be for snailey's return with Mrs Snailey and a load of babies - just think of the fun you could all have together!! :)

    I shall overlook the fact you ate his cousins cos I often eat relatives of my cheeple but the less said about that the better! :)

    WAIT!! I've just realized. Of course the snail won't return. First you try to kill him - although you manage to convince him it was an accident... ;) then he is just on his way home after a long walk and catching you EATING his 6 brothers and sisters!

    Now he realizes the full terrible truth. You weren't 'housing' him in that pot - you were plumping him up! Feeding him grass - ready for dinner!! Alas! I fear he has long scarpered...
    :(
    Re Mark's beard chopping photos (very impressive) I have suggested a goatee. Very stylish - and nice compromise.. whaddya think?! :) Wiz (it's me being 'anon' because it's kinda easier than signing in!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how evil of me, I do keep an eye out in the garden, and have indeed found a cute family of snails living next door, but he knows better than to come near my death crazy little house :-( Mr lizard has not returned either. Hmm maybe a compulsory move is in order?

    Yes I think a little goatee would look cute. Thats what he had when I first met him :-)

    Thanks so much for commenting on my blog xx

    ReplyDelete