Friday 3 December 2010

The Best Baked Alaska in the World



Rather randomly Baked Alaska popped into my head and instantly reminded me of my parents. The baked alaska is a running joke in our family, in that my poor dad has been promised one for 21 years! Ever since my parents got married, my mum who supposedly makes a gorgeous baked alaska, has failed to deliver. Worse then that, she has raised his hopes only to dash them. Two such examples spring to mind:

  1. If you buy me a food processor I will be able to make you one (always the optimist he fell for it)
  2. All the family is here so I will make one - oh Sarah is going out, it's too big for three
Now, I realise it is a little mean pointing the finger at mum in this way, but my mind began imagining how brilliant this pud must be for my dad to still cling relentlessly to this little dream, that one day a beautiful baked alaska will be sitting there steaming hot on the table waiting for him to devour it.

Having never personally had a proper baked alaska, I don't know what all the fuss is about. But I can picture my dad drooling over the sticky caramel flamed meringue. Stabbing hopefully with his spoon deep into the cold heart, still a little fearful that it may all be a mirage and further signs of going senile. The warm spread of joy when he pulls out a perfect mix of cold ice-cream and warm gooey meringue, and slips it into his ever broadening smiley mouth.

No doubt a delight to the tummy as much as the mind! All those years, and it is so worth the wait! And here lies the problem. I think my dad may have put the baked alaska on such a high pedestal that my mum is now too afraid to make it. This was her speciality dish, what if it goes wrong? Honestly mum, I know it might dent the pride a little if it was as perfect as your usual baking, but do you really think dad would mind licking the bowl of a botched attempt? And what if it goes right? You can be the proven Queen of Baked Alaska's! Either way, dad will be chuffed to have finally had one.
Well dad, I have done all I can to persuade mum to bake you one, do let me know if I have succeeded.

Much love,

Maria xx


p.s. here is the recipe for the one in the picture www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1936/chocolate-orange-bombe-alaska-with-hot-chocolate-s 

No comments:

Post a Comment