Tuesday 19 October 2010

What am I?

Another quick blog relating to my much loved creative writing course. The great thing about doing a course like this is that it forces you to do things that you haven't done in ages, or perhaps have never done. Take for instance our last challenge - to write a poem! Something I haven't done in a very very long time, and something I have always struggled with.

The Challenge

We all brought in a mystery wrapped item, popped them in the middle of the table, each chose one and scurried off to a corner where no one else could see us unwrap it. The challenge was to write a poem about the object, without saying what it was, but personifying - giving it an attitude or emotions. Here is mine, can you guess what it is?

My ash filled bowels
tell of past letters and scraps
I can destroy your darkest secret
and warm your now cleansed soul

Air bellows through my body
tainted with a musky past
Heavily used but not abused
my every millimetre has a
trace of my use
A dark shadow of memories
Burnt but not forgotten


Well? Any guesses? To be honest I didn't know what it was when I was writing about it, but here is an similar image of what I had to work with



Does the picture help? Well, I was later informed that it is a bee smoker. The smoke calms the bees while the beekeeper swipes the honey away. Thus less chance of being stung :) You learn something new everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment