Tuesday 12 April 2011

Erna's 1st Feather

I have a lovely treat for you all!

I wrote this little story about two years ago, about Erna; a teddy hen Mark bought me as a pressie for our first Christmas together. She is thus very special to me and it is apt then that she inspires little stories.

Erna's 1st feather is the first,and my personal favourite, and for the first time, after a lovely long day of cutting, drawing, writing and sticking my little story is complete! I just had to share it with you. Please let me know what you think. I hope you love it!

Love Maria xx

p.s. apologies for the photo colour quality. The original is 7.5cm square, drawn on heavy quality cream card, and coloured brightly in pencil crayon.



















4 comments:

  1. WOW!!! This is AMAZING!! Love it - and the illustrations are SOO good! Love the way the story goes with the pictures too. Love the bit with half a chicken one page and her feet the next page.

    You should really try and get this published - it's well good enough!

    Rave, rant, pant. Oooh it's time for my bath - no more time for any raving but suffice it to say... I LOVE IT!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.. and I LOVED Daddy Chicken - So handsome! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! I am so glad you like it. I wrote the story and then matched the pictures to it, so hopefully it would flow well. Yes others have commented that they like her dangley feet :)

    I read the writers guide and it looks as though I would be very lucky to get it published as the publishers will only touch it if they think it is suitable for an international market. Also the illustrations would need to be re-done by a professional illustrator.

    I have however sent a link to my blog to Hejhog, which is the company we bought Erna from. They sell books, and although its a slim chance (and they haven't replied yet). I asked if they might support me in getting it published.

    Anyway, it was a labour of love, and I very much enjoyed doing it.

    Lol, when I first drafted daddy hen, I drew him like mummy hen. Mark had to remind me that daddy hens were actually roosters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re-done by a professional illustrator?! They are part of its charm!! The way you've drawn them and positioned them is really clever - it did make we wonder if you'd done some kind of qualification or course on how to do it but I presume it's just natural talent then! They're just perfect.

    I would think publishers would want to see more than just one story about that character -(from a selling point of view) but then so do I! more stories please!

    You are very resourceful writing off to Hejhog - good for you and fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete