Sunday 9 January 2011

Puddle Mirror

One of my New Years resolutions was to attempt more poetry. Thus each week I should have at least seven poems to share with you. I am hoping they will get better with practice! 

This was inspired by a lovely trip, with our couch surfing friends, to Horsey to see the seals - who were super cute as always.

Puddle Mirror

Puddle Mirror of the sky
So dark and moody, I inward sigh
In winters grasp, it seems so long
In warmer skies I do belong

My mind it wanders to my dreams
Of summers past, my smile it beams
But now my heavens cast it's shroud
Of heavy, thick and rainy cloud

My mood it dampens day by day
Until at last a break through ray
Falls upon the grassy plain
And all life starts to grow again

I see reflected bright and blue
A cloudless sky that looks brand new
Next day I look and see no more
My puddle mirror on the floor


Hope you liked it! Any views on how I could make it better? 

All the best,
Maria x

1 comment:

  1. Wow - you're such a poet! Love this.
    Tried to put mind to 'improving' and have come up with the following!
    it feels like line 2 should lose a syllable (which I can't spell!) Maybe instead of 'so' Dark and Moody - or tother way round 'Moody and Dark; I inward sigh.'

    verse 2 - I would probably put 'the' heavens rather than my but depends on your point of view! and 'its' feels like it should be 'their' - as heavens are plural.

    I love the last verse! - can't see any way of 'improving' either of the last 2 verses!
    Very good poem though - you are a true romantic and I love the pic that goes with. I presume this is the actual puddle you wrote about??!

    ReplyDelete