Sunday 9 January 2011

Haiku - week 1

During my writing class last year I got rather hooked on Haiku, and have written around 40 in total, the occasional one of which is good. Haiku, for those who don't know (I didn't until my class), is a form of Japanese poetry, which consists of three phrases printed in a single vertical line, that count 17 mora (their version of syllables). English Haiku is generally counted in a 5 syllable, 7 syllable, 5 syllable structure, and relate to any subject, whereas traditionally they pertain to the natural world. Generally it is the natural world that inspires me, so I tend to  stay true to tradition where possible.

Here is this weeks attempts, all of which were inspired by my trip to see the seals at Horsey:



1.   Collage of footprints 
      Exodus of shared purpose 
      Vanish with the wind

2.   Look to the heavens
      Be it dark, or be it bright
      Ever changing sight


3.   Lie back on the grass
      And see the sky as a child
      A circus of clouds


4.  The world reflected
      In a puddle, look and see
      A new perspective


5.   Each of us unique
      See the world as no other
      Be shepherds not sheep


6.   Hidden in the dunes
      Mothers sleeping butterball
      Melting peoples hearts


7.  Climbing the sand dunes
     Reach the top and scan the sea
     for bobbing faces


This one doesn't follow the correct structure but I still like it:


8.   The sky it changes constantly
      Watch it's clouds glide peacefully
      Let your mind know tranquility


A mixed bag of poetry but I enjoyed writing it. Why not have a go?


Maria xx


3 comments:

  1. Oooh - I must just say that these really inspired me. I knew I couldn't linger at the poota this morning as I had so much to do in the garage and was supposed to go out shopping as well. however I was determined to write one very quick Haiku - bit of 'Haiku Hotpen'!! So I got Blue Ted to sit nicely in his chair and told him I was going to write one about him.
    Here it is:
    Blue Bear sat quite still
    eyes glazed, sweetly dreaming of
    Glory days long past.

    Tee hee! Haiku Hotpen Bear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok - now I'm going to choose my favourite Haiku! Ooh - it's like chocolates - they're all lovely - not a praline in sight! (to explain - they're the ones in the box I leave til last!) -and I do mean that otherwise I wouldn't say.
    Hmm ok - after much consideration I'd eat No 4 first! ;) although probably closely followed by no 5 - then I'd bolt the rest ;)
    Anyway - think you should write more! I'd forgotten what fun Haiku was. I remember them from school. Ooh - think I'm going to do another 'Blue Bear' one now. And going right off topic I'm totally LOVING Captain Bluebear - Fantastic stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smoky sky at dawn
    No sound but the turn of waves
    Lonely people come

    Perhaps I should write one about beards...

    ReplyDelete